Last week the Property Council responded to the Strategic Energy Initiative Directions Paper, Energy2031; by providing a submission to the Office of Energy.
The response offered general support for the Directions Paper, however three areas of specific concern to the property sector were identified;
- The State Infrastructure Planning and Coordination Strategy
- The State Energy Efficiency Strategy, and
- The Energy Supply Diversification Strategy
In addressing these concerns, The Property Council;
- Sought greater clarification as to the Government’s plans to link development approval to infrastructure provision (and the inherent demands this may place on private industry to supply it)
- Expressed concerns relating to the costs which will be imposed on the property sector, and argued that it is essential that the State Government partner with industry in this area, providing appropriate incentives and resources to minimise the impact on business within the property industry
- Encouraged the WA Government to give greater consideration to renewable energy targets, and provide the appropriate infrastructure to encourage greater uptake of distributed energy initiatives.