We understand the NSW Government is in the final stages of considering the design of the proposed FiT Scheme.
We urge the Government to adopt and implement a scheme that will provide a real and long-term incentive for the property
industry and others to invest in clean energy systems.
We reiterate the following design principles for the scheme - as reflected in our submission to the Govemment's FiT Taskforce earlier this year:
- The scheme should be based on gross metering.
- Technologies/systems beyond solar should be eligible including wind, cogeneration and trigeneration.
- Eligibility should include the commercial property sector (e.g. office, retail, industrial) and owners corporations.
- Eligibility of commercial property should not be artificially limited through a small 'household' scale cap.
- A clear, bankable premium tariff rate/framework should be established that reflects the various benefits of eligible systems as well as the Government's own objectives (i.e. reducing emissions, increasing investment, green jobs, clean energy visibility).
- If a gross scheme is adopted, it should not be undermined through government barriers or other costly requirements (e. g. planning approval, grid corurection requirements)